Monday, January 12, 2009

First Years on Paiute

First Years on Paiute
Copyright Joanne Harris 2009

The year after Walker Basin, 1938, Mom went up on Paiute. We didn’t have any place on the mountain, but she found an old, abandoned cabin. The neighbors said, “Oh, boy, you better leave that alone.” That was the Gherenger Claim. I can’t remember his first name. But people said, “That’s his claim and he doesn’t want people messing with it, even though he hasn’t filed on it recently.”

So my folks talked to him and he said, “Naw, take it, I’m never going to use it again.”

The folks filed on it. It didn't have much of a cabin, fifteen feet by twenty. But we started living there. Daddy wasn’t around very much. Mama decided – you know, she was a natural engineer and I guess she knew what the rest of us didn’t – she decided that she was going to work on the cabin.

It wasn’t in very good shape. The bottom logs were rotting into the ground. I guess Daddy must have fallen the log sized trees, forty- or fifty-feet tall, so she could replace the rotted ones. She borrowed an old white mule and a rock sled from Nick Williams.

A rock sled is a little tiny sled with very heavy slides on it, runners made out of two-by material with tin on the bottoms so they’ll slide. They have a cross piece where you can chain the butt of a log, and then it doesn’t dig into the ground when you drag it. That's how she started dragging in logs.

I don’t suppose I was peeling logs then, because I was pretty young. But Fritz peeled logs. How they did it, I don’t know, but they jacked up the cabin and put new, peeled logs under it. Mama raised the roof, literally. This was her project for years.

When she was at Paiute, she didn’t have any problems she couldn’t handle. So we spent a lot of our time at Paiute.

We had a house in East L.A. and Fritz went to school. I was much younger, and I will always remember Audrey and Fritz being there, and my cousin, Beverly. My mother’s brother, Norwin, had two children, Beverly and Dana. He abandoned them completely. Well, their mother abandoned them too. Beverly lived with us off and on for years and years. Dana lived with us for almost five years. During those years Mom was always working on the cabin and we were playing around.

The cabin was in a place called French Gulch. It had no amenities like running water or electricity. In later years we had the first flush toilet on Paiute Mountain. It was an outhouse built up the hill by the mine tunnel. There was water running out of the mine tunnel, so we put a bucket there and the water ran into the bucket. You flushed the toilet with the water in the bucket because Mom had built a toilet with a 55-gallon septic and about 50 feet of leach line. We used it for years and years.

Mom was always working on the cabin. Mystical. In those years it wasn’t mythical or mystical. It was just where we lived. We played around and as we got older we took longer trips. We’d go walking, Audrey and Beverly and Fritz were older than I. How far we wandered! You know, I don’t ever remember being told to stay home.

Audrey and Fritz and Beverly built themselves a little log cabin down the creek a ways out of logs laid cross ways. It had a door and a roof on it and, of course, this was their play house. But I wanted to play there too. It was, “Oh, Joanne, go back, go back. You’re not welcome. Beat it.” And finally they said, “Look, if we build you a cabin out of boards and rock up on the mine dump, (across the creek and up the road three- or four-hundred yards, oh, maybe not that far, but a long ways away) you’ll stay away from ours.” Some place there’s a piece of paper. My cousin Beverly had a legal mind. She’s the one who wrote it up and we all signed it.

So they built me my cabin, and you can guess what happened. I didn’t want to be up there by myself.

We lived there for years and years and years. I had adventures with the horses. We had to shoot our own meat when we were there, so there was a lot of hunting done. Beverly wasn’t living with us then, but I think by the time I was ten years old I was carrying a gun. The rules were really, really rigid.

I remember one spring when I was around twelve (1946). Ammunition was expensive, but every spring we all got to shoot off two or three shots at some cans across the creek to warm up and sight the guns in. And sight ourselves in. I hit the can and I turned around and yelled, “I got it!” As I turned, the gun fanned across other people. I will never forget that because I was upstairs and in bed and I didn’t get to speak to anybody until next morning. Never, never forgot it. Wonderful lesson.

We had guns in the house. We had a 25.20, which my brother bought about the end of the Second World War with some money he’d saved from a paper route. And we had the 30.30 and we had a 4-10 shotgun. And the 22s came and went. My father had a Colt Woodsman .22 semi-automatic, which was the gun of choice for packing. Those guns always sat there loaded, and we all knew they were loaded. It was never a problem with any of us kids. Never a problem. And if we had an accident with a gun, we never told anybody about it, that’s for damn sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment